Re: can multiarch break my system?

On 10/3/2012 10:08 PM, Celejar wrote:
On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 20:14:51 +0200
lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

"Hans-J. Ullrich" <hans.ullrich@loop.de> writes:

Hi folks,

I would like to install wine on my pure 64-bit system. Wine is telling me,
that I need to add i386 architecture on it (dpkg --add-architecture).
Of course I need 32-bit libs.

Don't do it if you can avoid it.  You don't know what libraries you will
need, and switching to brokenarch can get you into all sorts of
dependency problems.  32bit support is majorly broken and non-working in
Debian testing.

Wine?  I tried that a few years ago and it couldn't even run notepad
though they're always claiming it can run almost everything.

I've recently played through the original Fallout on Wine, and it
worked fairly well.

Celejar

Yes, I have played several games from Steam on Wine, including Skyrim, and the hard part is usually the video or .NET.

32-bit works, I needed it specifically for running Wine (needed 32-bit video driver support for the above-mentioned games). I have used it for running Flash during the 64-bit Flash drought, and for installing a few things with gdebi that were only available as 32-bit.

What broken is multiarch in Sid. They are getting ready to switch to it, but all of the pieces aren't there yet. My guess is it will stay broken until well after the release of Wheezy. Perhaps they intend for Jessie to be fully multiarch-capable.

Just guessing.