Re: help using serial console w/ netboot

On 10/1/12 8:23 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm trying to build a headless, remote server - using an IPMI serial
> terminal and PXEboot.  The thing is, that I've got everything set up to
> the point that the install system is booting (I can see the splash
> screen via a remote KVM), but can't access it via a remote serial console.
>
> I think I need to put some magic incantation in   ../pxelinux.cfg, or
> possibly some other config file - but can't find any documentation on
> how to do it (what I have found is contradictory and doesn't work for
> me).  (For what it's worth, it's a supermicro rack-mount server, with
> on-board IPMI 2, but I think the issue is configuring the boot file
> properly.)
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Miles Fidelman

Serial booting with PXE booting needs changes in three places, from what
I recall.  These are from my notes, speed 19200:

debian-installer/i386/boot-screens/syslinux.cfg:

	serial 0 19200 0

debian-installer/i386/boot-screens/txt.cfg:

	append vga=788 inited=debian-installer/i386/initrd.gz --
console=ttyS0,19200 earlyprint=serial,ttyS0,19200

debian-installer/i386/pxelinux.cfg/default:

	serial 0 19200 0

There's a fair amount of more complete notes out there if you search a bit.

Regards,
/Lars