Re: Printing to parallel port printer

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 05:39:46PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Sun 30 Sep 2012 at 13:00:44 +0200, Felix Natter wrote:
>
> > Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:
> >
> > > The printer should be capable of being set up with lpadmin or from the
> > > web interface, but I guess this is not what the substance of your mail
> > > is about.
> >
> > Yes, I have previously set up the same printer and it worked this way
> > :-(
> >
> > Maybe something in the kernel changed so that I need to load another
> > module?
>
> I don't think you are missing any modules. parport_pc, lp and ppdev
> should be sufficient and are all that I have loaded here.
>
> The "Add Printer" function gets its information for the parallel port
> from /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel, Executing that file as root should
> give a description of the printer attached. With the printer unattached
> the output is "unknown".

Note that this does depend on having a modern (bidirectional)
parallel port cable and port, and a printer supporting
IEEE status readback on the parallel port for autodetection.
Any system and printer from the last 12 years should support
this.  But if you've used an ancient cable, that could cause
trouble.

Even if autodetection fails, you should be able to just set
it up manually with parallel:/dev/lp0 or equivalent.

Also: check that the CUPS lp backend is executable.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh