Re: Printing to parallel port printer

On Sun 30 Sep 2012 at 13:00:44 +0200, Felix Natter wrote:

> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:
>
> > The printer should be capable of being set up with lpadmin or from the
> > web interface, but I guess this is not what the substance of your mail
> > is about.
>
> Yes, I have previously set up the same printer and it worked this way
> :-(
>
> Maybe something in the kernel changed so that I need to load another
> module?

I don't think you are missing any modules. parport_pc, lp and ppdev
should be sufficient and are all that I have loaded here.

The "Add Printer" function gets its information for the parallel port
from /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel, Executing that file as root should
give a description of the printer attached. With the printer unattached
the output is "unknown".