Re: What is playing videos in web browsers?

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 17:27:35 +0200, lee wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

>>> There is also the possibility that they come up with a new version for
>>> other OSs.  They could add features in the new version that make it
>>> impossible to play videos which are compatible with the new version
>>> with the old one.  Once the old version is incompatible, there's no
>>> point in continuing to provide security updates for it.
>>
>> Should that happens, you will have to choose: looking for a proper
>> replacement of the plugin or simply avoid sites that make use of an
>> unsupported feature in your system.
>
> And that isn't a good situation.

Sadly, we can't be sure on what the future will provide, so worrying know
is useless and wasteful. The only we can do is having a "Plan B", that's
all.

>>> Well, there's not point in worrying about it.  We'll see what happens.
>>
>> I never liked the Flash Player concept: it simply breaks the way html
>> stands for. Anyway, which today standards in our hands, I do not see
>> much future for what Flash Player is currently designed for and
>> provides. Maybe it was "nice and cool" (sigh) 10 years ago but not know
>> (and needless to say it's buggy as hell).
>
> That didn't prevent it from becoming widely used.  Almost nobody likes
> it, everyone uses it, and if you want to watch videos, you can't
> without.

Sure, that's why I have it installed but again, the fact is widely spread
is not in my hands. The big question is: what would happen should Adobe
Flash Player starts breaking _now_ for Linux? I wouldn't miss it, that's
for sure, so if you ask me, I wish Adobe stopped their Linux flash
support *today* because that will force me to find an alternative
solution.

The main "advantage" (so to speak) I see for this plugin is that it's
that self-compacted (a unique ".so" file) that installing it is very easy
(a couple of clicks).

>> Uh? Can you please point to a site where Adobe Flash Player does not
>> work? This sort of problems are generated by wrong html coding for
>> embedding the Flash Player plugin, nothing Adobe Flash Player can
>> solve.
>
> I don't have it installed anymore and I can't find one of these sites
> atm.

Fine, then problem solved :-)

> It's awful, with gnash and vlc and the built-in player installed,
> there's no way to tell what the browser attempts to use to play
> something.  Try [1] maybe, it opens a player (vlc maybe, it doesn't look
> like gnash) and says I don't have a divx codec installed.  Try it a
> second time and it doesn't say that anymore.  I'm sure if I could
> download the video I could play it just fine with mplayer or vlc.

The source code of the URL has/points to none "swf" file so whataver
problem you face with it in seems unrelated to the Flash Player plugin.

>>> Ok, then how do I do that?
>>
>> I usually go to Google and search for it >:-)
>
> Well, I tried that years ago and just tried it again and still didn't
> find a solution.  You seem to know how to do it since you say there's no
> problem with it, so maybe you can enlighten us by telling us how to.

(...)

Better that you first start saying what you have tested and in what way
it failed for you, don't you think?

But again, as I already said, my only recommendation for dealing with
flash based websites is using the crappy Flash Player plugin from Adobe
until it completely dissapears from the face of the Earth (hope this
happens soon...).

Greeitngs,

--
Camaleón