Re: [OT] Grub2: grub.cfg for live Knoppix running from USB-card

On Tue 18 Sep 2012 at 05:57:54 -0700, T Elcor wrote:

> Am trying to create a bootable USB card running Knoppix, which I use
> as a recovery tool in case if there are problems with my main Debian
> system.

To satisfy our curiosity: what does Knoppix on a USB device as a
recovery tool give you that Debian on the device doesn't?

> I succeeded creating a bootable USB-card based on grub1 but am having
> problems with grub2, see http://knoppix.net/wiki/USB_Based_FAQ for
> instructions I used.
>
> Anyone running Knoppix from a USB-card with grub2? How does your
> /boot/grub/grub.cfg look like?

The question you really wanted to ask was -'How do I boot Knoppix on my
Debian machine and copy it to a USB stick?' Which would have nicely put
us on-topic.

Anyway: in /etc/grub.d/40_custom put

   menuentry "Knoppix Adriane" {
           set root=(hd0,1)
           loopback loop /boot/isos/knoppix-adriane.iso
           linux (loop)/boot/isolinux/linux bootfrom=/dev/sda1/boot/isos/knoppix-adriane.iso
           initrd (loop)/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
}

changing (hd0,1) and sda1 to suit your situation. Run 'update-grub' and
boot into Knoppix. Get a terminal, plug in a USB stick and transfer
Knoppix to it with 'flash-knoppix'.