Re: Installation

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 8:55 PM, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> "Christofer C. Bell" <christofer.c.bell@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 4:28 PM, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> What you call "desert situation" is the most likely one to have.  If you
>>> didn't have it, you were lucky.
>>
>> You missed the rest of the quote.  I'll break it down into numbered points:
>
> No, I didn't miss it.
>
>> The desert island situation is not only *not* the most likely one to
>> have *it simply doesn't happen*.
>
> It's the most likely one you will have.

You're flat wrong, as has been pointed out by multiple people.  That
you assert otherwise, like a broken record, does not change how wrong
you are.

> No, I merely gave some example questions a clueless users might ask
> which could come up when they are reading the insufficient and confusing
> text weaver suggested to put into the D/i.  I didn't suggest anywhere to
> answer them anywhere in the installer.  If you read carefully, you may
> find out that I assume that the D/i installer is not the right place to
> be for people who need ask what a partition or what partitioning means
> since my first comment in this thread.

No, what you keep posting are walls of text to browbeat people into
agreeing with you.  It has been patiently pointed out *for days* where
you are wrong, how you are wrong, and why you are wrong.  If you're
seeking to convert this audience to your views, you're doing a
terrible job of it.  Trying to convert an audience, one that is a
veritable well-spring of information that highlights *just how wrong
you are*, is an exercise in futility (and frustration, for both you
and your audience).  One of the maintainers of d-i has pointed out
exactly how *you* can implement this nonsense you seek, that everyone
else thinks is utterly daft, *yourself*.  So your continued attempts
to "sway the collective mind" are baffling.

These quotes are from *you*:

---
"What is a "hard drive"?  What do you mean by "allocated"?  Will my hard
drive be full when I make partitions because everything is allocated
then?  Maybe I better shouldn't make any partitions so my hard drive
doesn't get full.

What happens to the partitions when I quit the installer, do they get
unset?  What if I have several hard drives (like you actually do in this
example)?  Can I make a partition that goes over all my hard drives?  I
don't want many partitions, that's too complicated, and I want to use
all the hard drives I have, so how do I make a partition out of all of
them?  120GB isn't much, so I think it would be cool if I could use all
the hard drives I have.  That was so easy with windoze ... Can't I just
skip this step? I don't really want partitions, they are too
complicated."

> where different parts of your working operating system reside.

"What is an operating system?  Do I have one that doesn't work, too?
What do you mean by "parts of it reside there"?  What about the other
parts that don't reside there, where do they go?  What do you mean by
"different parts"?  Do you mean I have different operating systems?  I'm
not sure, but I think I haven't installed an operating system yet, so
what's on these partitions now? I'm totally confused now ... :(

What about my data that I have under windoze?  Will it be lost?  Or
where is it?  I've never had partitions with windoze, why do I need that
now?"
---

Your contention that you've *not* assumed that "D/i installer is not
hte right place to be for people who need to ask what a partition or
what partitioning means from since [your] first comment in this
thread," is flat wrong.  You have, to the contrary, implied that d-i
is *exactly* the place this information should be located by your
*disagreement with the person who said it doesn't belong in there.*

Your ideas have been heard, considered, disagreed with, and rejected.
If you want them implemented then, as the saying goes, "patches
welcome."  See, there is where the concept of "consensus building" is
highlighted.  You've failed to achieve consensus, or rather, the
consensus is against you.  You need to pick your battles and this
isn't one you're any any danger whatsoever of winning.  It's time to
move on.

P.S. It's "Windows," or more correctly, "Microsoft Windows."

--
Chris