Re: Installation

Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> On Ma, 11 sep 12, 14:24:22, lee wrote:
>>
>> The question is not what is part of what, the question is what is
>> needed. Since you need a working computer to install an OS on a
>> computer, why can't we have that with an installation media so we can
>> switch between the actual installer and the working system simply by
>> pressing a key/button?
>
> You can press (Ctrl+)Alt+F1 to get a console :p
>
> (SCNR)

Wasn't that F3? And then you try to start a web browser and it says
"command not found". Not even less is available, only more, which I
otherwise never use :( Then try to burn a CD or something ... Emacs?
Command not found ... joe ... command not found ... vi ... command not
found ... vim ... command not found ... I don't remember what works,
nano maybe? Or pico? Or what? find ... command not found ... shit :( Now
what? ls -laR | more, yuck q ... tab tab y ... hmmm ...

I don't get along with vi. A clueless user just might (if he is able to
use a keyboard, which most of them aren't) because it's new to him ---
if he could look up the documentation and had any idea that there is
such a thing as vi.

>> When the actual installer asks me a question I cannot answer or when I
>> find out I need to download something to proceed with the installation,
>> I can just switch to the working system and google for an answer or
>> download what I need. That's basically what the working system needs to
>> provide me with; I don't need to run gimp or to compile emacs on it.
>
> Yes, I know what you mean. This is called a "live installer" and I
> understand Ubuntu has one: you boot into a live system you can try out
> and if you want to install it you select something from the menu and the
> installation runs in the background.
>
> I'm guessing Debian's Installer would need quite some rework to enable
> it to work on an already running (possibly live) system.

Lots of packages would have to be added, I guess. When you think of it,
the installer just boots a kernel and runs a minimal system and mainly
the installer on it. If some more packages were added, we could have at
least a good choice of editors and lynx.

There's the GUI installer as well. I never tried it, but why can't they
just add seamonkey or another GUI browser and some program that can burn
CDs/DVDs? Because they want to keep the disk images small?

--
Debian testing amd64