Re: Installation

On Mon, September 10, 2012 9:32 am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-09-10 at 14:10 +0200, lee wrote:
>> For those who don't want to or are unable to learn, have a button they
>> can press to perform the installation, no matter what and no questions
>> asked. However, those are the kind of people who better stay away from
>> computers, which makes it doubtful how useful such a thing would be.
>
> Different users, different needs. A DVB-T receiver is a computer, a DAT
> recorder is a computer, perhaps your car is a computer, at least all
> this things use computers. Some people know how to use a DVB-T receiver,
> a DAT recorder and they can drive a car. Nobody expect them to know
> details about the receiver, the recorder and the car.
>
> IMO Linux for too many people is the Sangraal and they enjoy to diss
> people who have no knowledge about computers.

Frankly, I think many comments are made in the attempt to maintain that.
It is possible to have both.
I installed the Debian version of Linux Mint to have a look at it and
noticed a comment in the onsite forum asking when 'the KDE Version' would
be coming out.

I found aptitude underneath it all and laughed.
In about half an hour I had my usual mixed Debian system of some Gnome
apps, some KDE, a sprinkle of XFCE and Enlightenment to hold it all
together. Nothing new there!

> A computer is a tool. The tool has to fit to the user needs. The more a
> user needs to learn about things that have nothing to do with the usage,
> the less good an OS is for averaged users. Linux isn't a good OS for
> averaged users.
>
> It won't harm to have empathy.

Not at all.

> FWIW my favorite distro is Arch Linux, it fit best to some of my needs
> and of course isn't good for averaged users. Distros as Debian, Ubuntu,
> Suse, Fedora IMO could keep their installers, but the used language
> should become understandable for averaged computer users. There's no
> need to use terminology that much. "Partition", "host" etc. also could
> be explained in layman's terms. For the advanced user there still should
> be an option.

That's right!
The configurability of Debian answers to all tastes and once a new user
has had a little time to become orientated, they will do what we all do
and start to play.

> The biggest problem IMO is to install basics. For an advanced user Arch,
> Gentoo etc. is very good, because the user has to install what is
> needed. Arch for example doesn't install X by default. For Debian, Suse
> etc. an installer already installs tons of software, that most users
> never ever will need.

And some they should!
MC isn't installed by default and I think it should be.
Nano is there and useful to reconfigure /etc/apt/sources.list, but there
are many other packages that I have never used.

 It's ok, since this one day should enable
> automatically installation.

Regards,

Weaver
--
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its  government."
 -- Thomas Paine