Installation

Hello,

I know how hard it can be to see the forest when you are too close to the
trees, so I thought I would re-post something I put up in another forum
where Miguel de Icaza's recent communication was being discussed and in
answer to Vaughan-Nicholl's recent article of semi-acceptance.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The most 'untechie' person on the planet can use any Linux distribution
once it is installed.
I have sat people down at my box with Iceweasel open and they have started
surfing sites immediately without anything more than a faint inkling there
was anything different.
And there's not much difference in how office suites and email programmes
operate either.
These options sum up what most people use computers for.

The reason they don't is the install procedure.

Installation has made tremendous leaps forward, but the average end user
doesn't have the faintest idea what partitioning is or what it's for. They
have no idea of file systems and until there are FULL explanations of
these two implementations in installation procedures, written on a level a
primary school pupil can understand, things are not going to change.

The biggest hurdle I had to overcome when I first got into Lunux was
learning what cfdisc was all about and what it was for.
Get rid of the hurdles and you facilitate access.
With access comes acceptance.
Regards,

Weaver

--
"The truth is, there is no Islamic army or terrorist group called Al
Qaida. And any informed intelligence officer knows this. But there is a