Re: new installation preserving /home partition

Mauricio Calvao <mocalvao@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> I currrently have a desktop running old Debian 5 (lenny). I myself
> installed some programs outside apt management, both
> because there were no deb packages for them and because I need some
> more recent versions.

It might still be possible to just upgrade, especially if you installed
them under /usr/local. In case that doesn't work, you can still
re-install.

> Thus, I have finally decided
> to move on to Debian 6 (squeeze) and then possibly even to Debian sid,
> which I have already used for some time as the aptosid
> distribution. I would like however to preserve my /home partition. Is
> that **advisable** or should I delete this partition as well?

You can keep your home partition as is. It is advisable to put
everything on at least a RAID-1 as it improves your chances to survive
disk failures. In any case, make sure you have working backups of your
data.

--
Debian testing amd64