new installation preserving /home partition

Hi

I currrently have a desktop running old Debian 5 (lenny). I myself
installed some programs outside apt management, both
because there were no deb packages for them and because I need some
more recent versions. Thus, I have finally decided
to move on to Debian 6 (squeeze) and then possibly even to Debian sid,
which I have already used for some time as the aptosid
distribution. I would like however to preserve my /home partition. Is
that **advisable** or should I delete this partition as well?

Thanks in advance!

--
Prof. Mauricio Ortiz Calvao

Email: orca@if.ufrj.br