Re: VirtualBox and USB

On 9/2/2012 12:03 AM, T o n g wrote:
Hi,

I created my VirtualBox VM using the script from
http://www.halfdog.net/Misc/TipsAndTricks/VirtualBox.html

in which it adds USB support like this:

   # Add usb if needed
   vboxmanage modifyvm "${_setup_vboxName}" --usb on --usbehci on

However, when I plug in an USB key in host, the VirtualBox VM guest
doesn't see the USB key.

What's the right way to config VirtualBox VM so that USB key in host can
be accessed from within VM?

Thanks

If you are using the GUI, check the appropriate box in the Settings panel.

Otherwise Google suggests several sites that illustrate it, such as this one:

http://richardhorwood.com/108/virtualbox-usb-from-the-command-line/

Wait: Have you installed the OSE version, or the closed source version? You may need to also install the "Extension Pack". The USB functionality is in there.The Extension Pack also has RDP and network boot.

Also, you really should try to install the "Guest Additions" if you haven't already.