Re: Can squeeze boot into a LVM over RAID?

On Sat, Sep 01, 2012 at 08:17:10PM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> Can squeeze boot when / is on an LVM over RAID1?
>
> Can it boot if /boot is on the LVM over RAID1?
>
> Or when /boot is on a nonRAID nonLVM partition but / is on an LVM over
> RAID?

Yes to all.  I've booted directly from LVM on RAID1 for years using
GRUB.  With a modern initramfs (Debian default), it all just works.
So long as the bootloader can load the kernel and initrd (initramfs),
then the initramfs can start up the RAID array and LVM, and mount
your rootfs, then init takes over booting.  GRUB can read them
directly from your /boot, so there's no longer any need to have them
separate from the main rootfs.

Regards,
Roger

--