Re: Can squeeze boot into a LVM over RAID?

On 9/1/2012 4:58 PM, Mark Allums wrote:
On 9/1/2012 4:46 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 16:02:54 -0500, Mark Allums wrote:

On 9/1/2012 3:17 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
Can squeeze boot when / is on an LVM over RAID1?

Can it boot if /boot is on the LVM over RAID1?

Or when /boot is on a nonRAID nonLVM partition but / is on an LVM over
RAID?

Context:  I have to remove the hard drive my / is on.  The available
space to move it to is on a RAID drive.

The disks carrying the RAID also have small nonRAID nonLVM partitions
that would be big enough for /boot, but not all of /

-- hendrik

The usual practice is to put everything except /boot on LVM.  /boot can
theoretically go on LVM too, but it's simpler to leave it out/off of
LVM.  /boot can go on RAID, easily, though, and I always put it on a
RAID 1 partition.

So, yes, squeeze can boot with / on LVM, whether over RAID or otherwise.

Mark

Thanks.  Will try it in the next few days.  Will also install grub to the
MBR of all my disks, so whichever gets picked at boot time will work.

Is there an eaasy way to do this, so that they'll all get updated as
necessary when aptitude installs a new kernel?  Or it this not something
that the MBR cares about?

And is th association of, say, /dev/sdb with a particular hard drive
consistent if there's no change in hardware, or does it depend on random
boot-tine timing issues?

- hendrik

As Tom H mentioned, on standard Squeeze, not partitioned RAID.  Sorry
for the confusion.

You should use UUIDs or labels if you wand to reliably always boot or
mount a particular partition.  The /dev/sdx designations are subject to
the winds of variability in a system, and it apparently has been deemed
unnecessary to sort this out, since UUIDs and labels are available.

Some distributions are smart enough to write the MBR to all disks in a
RAID 1, and others are not.  I don't recall if Squeeze will or won't, or
or if Wheezy will, for that matter.  I haven't installed either recently
enough to need to find out.

Anybody else know?

Mark

I would add that Squeeze probably does not write the MBR to all disks at install time if installed using the default automated install, but with an expert install (that you are already using since you are installing RAID and LVM) you can write the MBR to each disk.

After installation, say during the installation of a new kernel or an update to GRUB, you will be asked which disks to write the MBR to by the installation script, so you're okay there. It's only during the initial installation where you might have to manually intervene.

Under Wheezy, I think the installer has gotten smarter.

Someone please correct me if I am mistaken.

Mark