Re: Can squeeze boot into a LVM over RAID?

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 16:02:54 -0500, Mark Allums wrote:

> On 9/1/2012 3:17 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> Can squeeze boot when / is on an LVM over RAID1?
>>
>> Can it boot if /boot is on the LVM over RAID1?
>>
>> Or when /boot is on a nonRAID nonLVM partition but / is on an LVM over
>> RAID?
>>
>> Context:  I have to remove the hard drive my / is on.  The available
>> space to move it to is on a RAID drive.
>>
>> The disks carrying the RAID also have small nonRAID nonLVM partitions
>> that would be big enough for /boot, but not all of /
>>
>> -- hendrik
>

> The usual practice is to put everything except /boot on LVM.  /boot can
> theoretically go on LVM too, but it's simpler to leave it out/off of
> LVM.  /boot can go on RAID, easily, though, and I always put it on a
> RAID 1 partition.
>
> So, yes, squeeze can boot with / on LVM, whether over RAID or otherwise.
>
> Mark

Thanks.  Will try it in the next few days.  Will also install grub to the
MBR of all my disks, so whichever gets picked at boot time will work.

Is there an eaasy way to do this, so that they'll all get updated as
necessary when aptitude installs a new kernel?  Or it this not something
that the MBR cares about?

And is th association of, say, /dev/sdb with a particular hard drive
consistent if there's no change in hardware, or does it depend on random
boot-tine timing issues?

- hendrik