Re: alsa-base breaks linux-sound-base

On 01/09/12 14:35, lee wrote:
Joe<joe@jretrading.com>  writes:

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 09:38:42 +0200
lee<lee@yun.yagibdah.de>  wrote:

Camaleón<noelamac@gmail.com>  writes:

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 13:56:29 -0500, Charles Kroeger wrote:

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 17:20:02 +0200
Camaleón<noelamac@gmail.com>  wrote:

(...)

http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/a/alsa-base/alsa-base_1.0.25+2+nmu1/changelog
    * Drop linux-sound-base: OSS was removed from the kernel
    pre-squeeze.
      (closes: #662038). Remove all module list generation
machinery, it's now obsolete.
    * Removing linux-sound-base also closes: #376241, #558408 the
hard way.

Review the referenced bug reports and if there's nothing that
solves the problem you're facing you can report it.

According to aptitude, alsa-base depends on linux-sound-base and
conflicts with linux-sound-base. So you either have to remove both of
them or keep their current versions.

So am I supposed to report this problem against alsa-base as a problem
of broken dependencies? Or should I remove both packages and
(forcefully) re-install alsa-base in case I don't have sound anymore
afterwards?

How did you circumvent the problem?

There wasn't a problem, or at least not when it happened in sid.

Hm ok, I'm running testing, so things might be much different.

I'm running testing/wheezy too. This is what I get:

dom@oz:~$ aptitude show alsa-base
Package: alsa-base
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 1.0.25+2+nmu2
Section: sound
Maintainer: Debian ALSA Maintainers <pkg-alsa-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Architecture: all
Uncompressed Size: 133 k
Depends: kmod, procps, udev
Recommends: alsa-utils
Suggests: alsa-oss, oss-compat
Breaks: linux-sound-base
Provides: alsa

There's no dependency on linux-sound-base there.

My sound seems to still be working too.

Have you done an apt-get or aptitude update recently?

--
Dom