Re: how to fix logical bad sectors

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 14:12:52 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 7:34 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>>> do i have to worry about this?
>>
>> Sure you do. What's connected to ata1.00? (dmesg | grep -i ata1.00)
>>
>> These errors are usually derived not from "bad sectors" but a hardware
>> issue (e.g., bad/loosey cabling). Just to be sure, you can run a full
>> SMART test to diagnose any problem from the disk and better if you use
>> the hdd manufacturer's test disk tools which are usually run from a
>> small live-cd iso.
>>
> here you go.
>
> [    2.920604] ata1.00: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)
> [    2.955968] ata1.00: ATA-8: WDC WD5000AVVS-63M8B0, 01.00A01, max UDMA/133
> [    2.955972] ata1.00: 976773168 sectors, multi 16: LBA48 NCQ (depth 0/32)
> [    2.961570] ata1.00: configured for UDMA/133

That's one of your hard disks so you definitely have to worry for the above
errors.

You can get WD diagnostic tool from here:

Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)
http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=610&sid=30&lang=en

If both SATA drives pass the tests then open your computer case and reseat/
reconnect the SATA cables (or better yet, replace them with a set of quality
SATA cables).

Another test you can perform is getting the ISO image for SystemRescueCD (livecd)
and boot with it. From here you can check if the errors are gone or still present
(by doing so you can discard/confirm a problem coming from the raid 1 layout that
you have set in your main system because the livecd will see/treat both disks
independently, not raided).

> would you please tell me one more thing. i am using rsyslog server but i
> can not see this critical error on that rsyslog server.

(...)

Sorry, but this is not the proper thread to talk about that. Anyway, I already
read the other post you sent about the issue but I have no idea on rsyslog and
remote logging, sorry ;-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón