Re: Obtaining a Newer Kernel

On 08/27/2012 08:45 AM, Camaleón wrote:
On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 16:51:54 -0500, Alex Robbins wrote:

I am running Debian testing, which currently has kernel 3.2.23-1, same
as unstable.  experimental has 3.5.something.  I am looking to run
kernel version 3.3 or higher.

As I understand it, there are 2 ways to go about this.  I could build
from the kernel.org source, or I could install from unstable.
You mean from "experimental", right?

Which is more likely to yield better results, as far as stability,
security, etc.?
Using Debian kernel sources are usually the best/easier way and not for
nothing special but it will save you a bunch of time (and some headaches)
for generating a proper ".config" file.

But hey, you can try both methods and then choose by yourself :-)

If I were to go with a vanilla kernel, would it be best to just go with
3.3, or would it make sense to take 3.5?
"3.5.3" is now the stable branch, I would go for that unless something
impedes you from doing so.

Greetings,

Yes, I did mean experimental. Thanks for your answers, I think that I'll install from the experimental repo.