Re: pulseaudio configuration question

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 00:16:35 -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:

Jude, please, next time remember to reply at the bottom of the message :-)

> Script done on Mon 27 Aug 2012 12:11:50 AM EDT On Sun, 26 Aug 2012,
> Camale?n
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 23:45:12 -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
>>
>> > By way of update, typing:
>> > pulseaudio --cleanup-shm <cr>
>> > pulseaudio --start <cr>
>> > and got no errors from pulseaudio this time. Unfortunately though
>> > both mplayer and vlc can connect to streams neither provides any
>> > sound output yet.
>> > sound card is an nvidia CK804 and pulse appears to have control of it
>> > from aplay -L output.
>>
>> Run "amixer" and check if the outputs channels (master/pcm) are enabled
>> ("on") and volume levels are high.

> This is what amixer provided.  I think alsamixer is a bit too graphical
> for me to use safely at least the first time.
> Script started on Mon 27 Aug 2012 12:11:37 AM EDT
> root@d-216-36-20-9:~# amixer

(...)

How many cards do you have? (aplay -l)

I can see that some outputs are turned off (e.g., surround, center,
IEC958...)  so you should check which of them is selected as the default
output device first because if the default is muted no sound is
possible :-)

You can also launch "alsamixer" as root, select the sound card you want
to edit and verify every single value (volume levels and their status of
mute/unmute).

Also, run the usual "aplay" test and see if you can get any sound from
here. Debian ALSA wiki page provides more info and tips for debugging
problems with the sound:

http://wiki.debian.org/ALSA/

Greetings,

--