Re (2): mp3 to speex

From:	Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers@gmail.com>
Date:	Fri, 24 Aug 2012 11:51:56 -0700
> ... convert to wav ...

Isn't PCM a simpler format?  That is what I intended vlc to convert
the mp3 into.

> I always use mplayer.

Will have a look.  For me, the syntax and semantics of the vlc
command aren't particularly fathomable.

> ... presuming mp3 is the native format of the stream in this case ...

It is.  Years ago the CBC published the program in both RealAudio
and Vorbis.  Then the administration decided to drop Vorbis because
of low usage.  Now that more people have the capability of using
Vorbis they publish mp3.  One of the program producers told me that
the policy isn't theirs; it comes from the higher administation.
The CBC is fond of claiming high mindedness but I'm not convinced.

> ... converting from one lossy format to another ...

PCM is lossy in the sense that it is a digital representation
of the original analogue signal.  But PCM can be made more precise
by choosing a finer resolution.

> ... size savings you would get.

I want to convert only because the native OLPC operating system
has a codec for Vorbis and not for mp3.  The conversion is done
in Debian, so the question is legitimate for this list.

> If you really need it smaller, ...

This is a case where size isn't significant.

Thanks for replying,          ... Peter E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12
Telephone +13606390202.  Bcc: peter at easthope.ca  http://carnot.yi.org/