Re: mp3 to speex

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 9:01 AM,  <peasthope@shaw.ca> wrote:
> Can speex be used to represent a recording which is mostly voice
> but has some non-voice sound?

Yes, it will be less than ideal for those sounds, but as long as it
is not a majority of the file, it shouldn't be too bad.

> In this experiment the intention is to retrieve the stream by http,
> send PCM to stdout, pipe that to speexenc and save as a *.spx file.
>
> peter@dalton:~$ vlc --demuxdump-file=- \
> http://www.cbc.ca/quirks/media/2011-2012/qq-2012-01-21.mp3 \
>  | speexenc qq-2012-01-21.spx
> VLC media player 1.1.3 The Luggage (revision exported)
> Warning: call to srand(1345820228)
> Warning: call to rand()
> Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_ADDRESS")
> Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_BUS_TYPE")

Those seem like odd errors, but I would dump the stream
to a file (personally I always use mplayer, but VLC should
work I suppose), then convert to wav (presuming mp3 is
the native format of the stream in this case...) and then
to speex.

I am not sure it is worth it though, converting from
one lossy format to another rarely works well. You
tend to get really poor sound quality, and I doubt it
would be worth it for the size savings you would get.
If you really need it smaller, you may be able to
convert it to a lower bitrate mp3, depending on what
it is to start with.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers