Re: No swap for Debian preseed automated installation

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 7:55 AM, ML mail <mlnospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> That's good news, I didn't see that option in the Debian sample preseed config files. So as you recommended I checked the partman-basicfilesystems package from Ubuntu and found the template which does that. Now added the following to my debian preseed file:
>
> d-i partman-basicfilesystems/no_swap boolean false
>
> and am going to test it right now :)

I'd ask you to keep in mind that even "unused swap" (meaning, you do
not expect the system to need to swap) is still useful and valuable.
Sometimes processes ask for more memory than is available in the
system.  The kernel will not allow the process to run unless there's
sufficient virtual memory to fulfill the request, even if the swap is
never used.

For example, you have 250MB free RAM in the machine and start an
application that asks for 500MB but will only use 150MB.  Without
swap, the kernel will tell you the system is out of memory and will
not start the process.  If you have sufficient swap (in this case, at
least 250MB) the process will start, your swap space will never be
used, and you'll still have 100MB free RAM.  But without that swap,
you'd end up with nothing.

I just want to make sure you're aware of the consequences of not
configuring any swap space even if you do not anticipate the system
will ever need to actually page out to it.

--
Chris