Re: [SOLVED] Is my processor 32-bit or 64-bit?

Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> You could probably get away without connecting the 4 pin aux CPU power
> on the Foxconn board if using a 65w or lower CPU.  I've never tried it.
>  But I don't find anything in the manual that says the board won't post
> with it disconnected.  Many newer boards won't power up without it
> connected and their docs say so in bold print.  This is a safety feature
> to keep folks with 80+ watt CPUs from burning up the board traces and/or
> smoking the 24pin +12V wires due to excessive current draw.

On the low power Atom D525 it won't POST with the 4-pin cpu power
disconnected.  I tried it.

> Worse case scenario if it must be connected, you also buy a $15 PSU with
> the 4 pin aux CPU +12V output.  It's still a big win over spending $120
> to add memory to an old slow box.
>
> Now, if you plan to use it as a headless server, spend the $50 on the
> memory and use it as is.  Should be fine for some light duty stuff.

Agreed.  I reuse a lot of older hardware too.

Here is another general observation.  I routinely measure the total
power of a system and label it for reference later.  I have been
moving out some of the older power hungry machines and replacing them
with newer greener lower power systems.  Like the Atom which can make
a nice low watt system very easily and has reasonable performance for
many tasks.

But that doesn't mean that all old hardware is high power.  I am still
using a Pentium 166MHz machine in a dedicated role because at 33 watts
it is still doing the job I need it to do and it is lower power than
most newer machines.  I can beat 33 watts today (but at a significant
cost) and will probably change it out soon but for example a new
Foxconn machine I built up recently was 65 watts.  Simply replacing
old with new isn't always lower power.  It must be measured to be
sure.

A previous generation core 2 duo of mine runs 150 watts.  Machines in
the high wattage envelope are pretty common.  I still use that power
hungry machine but I turn it off between uses.  I also have an IBM
workstation that burns 250 watts.  That one is off most of the time.
My main desktop for program development and email I have converted to
a 40 watt low power Core 2 Quad system.  For systems that I have
running 24x7 I am now optimizing for a combination of total power and
reasonable performance.  Not peak gaming machine performance.  Peak
performance can pull a lot of power.  The GPU is the newest single
power hog in high performance systems.

So for me I now have dedicated machines.  Some run 24x7 and I try to
make them as low of power as possible.  Others that need peak
performance and are going to draw high power I turn on for when I want
to use them, use them, and then I turn them off when I am not using
them.  The idea of having one desktop that does it all is no longer
viable for me.  I try to optimize each machine for its task.

Bob