Re: [SOLVED] Is my processor 32-bit or 64-bit?

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 03:07:49 -0400 (EDT), Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> Now, my next step is to figure out what memory SIMMs to order.
>> I'd like to install four 1G SIMMs, if they exist for this motherboard.
>> But the devil is in the details.
>
> DIMMs not SIMMs. ;)  SIMMs haven't been used in new systems for about 15
> years.

Right.  They are Dual In-line Memory Modules, not Single In-line Memory
Modules.  Old habits die hard.

> You probably won't find that registered ECC DDR200 through retail
> channels because of its age.  If you do it'll likely be $100+/stick.
> Here's the best deal I found on Ebay:
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-14-PC1600-DDR-200-Registered-ECC-1GB-Server-Memory-Micron-Samsung-/130718246446?pt=US_Memory_RAM_&hash=item1e6f6a262e

Hmm.  I'm not even sure if this is the right kind of memory.  Plus,
I only need 4.  What would I do with the other 10?  I went to the web site
of an outfit I've dealt with before, http://www.oempcworld.com, and I
found a way to specify my system by entering the motherboard number.
I told it I had an Intel SE7500CW2.  Here's the page it took me to:

http://www.oempcworld.com/configurator/configurator.php?mch=SE7500CW2&mfr=Intel&mdn=SE7500+Mainboard+Series

They are charging about $30 per DIMM, so four of them would be about
$120.

> $50 for old RAM or $110 few all new guts?  $110 gets you a new Foxconn
> AM3 mobo, 2.8GHz 1MB L2 64bit 45 watt single core AMD retail CPU, and
> 4GB DDR3-1333 dual channel RAM-- 6.6x the memory bandwidth of the
> Netburst Xeon.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103888
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186189
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148541
>
> I've used this combo to refurb 2 old machines now, including the machine
> from which I've typing this.  No problems so far with exactly one year
> on this one.  I've got a dual core Regor 3GHz 2x1MB L2 in this box.
>
> If a single core 2.8 64bit Sempron is insufficient for your workload,
> add $25 for a 65 watt 3.2GHz dual core AthlonII X2, $135 total:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103873

Hmm.  That's worth mulling over.  But I generally like to get hardware
when it's at least 3 or 4 years old.  That way, I can usually run
Debian stable and have all the device drivers work with no problems.
I worry particularly about the mobo with an on-board bleeding edge
Nvidia video chipset.  This thing is about 10 years old, but since
it was originally intended to be used as a high-end server, it should
make a decent desktop system even today.

> As long as the PSU has the 4-pin CPU power plug, and it should being a
> Xeon board, you shouldn't need to replace anything else.  And you've
> basically got a brand new system, sans drives, for $110-135.

I don't see the 4-pin CPU power plug to which you refer coming out
of the power supply.  (Yes, I finally broke down and took the cover
off.)  Of course, it does have several spare 4-pin power connectors
designed for peripherals, such as hard disks, CD-ROM drives, etc.
But I suspect you are referring to something smaller.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :