Re: [SOLVED] Is my processor 32-bit or 64-bit?

Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Most newer motherboards now require this addtional power connector.
> > But if your power supply does not provide one then you can add an
> > adaptor and convert one of the 4-pin power connectors to the ATX12V
> > 4-pin motherboard power connector.  That works fine.  I have done that
> > on a couple of systems.
>
> This method is usually fine for lower wattage CPUs.  Be aware that using
> this method provides only one additional +12V lead (wire) and one ground
> from the PSU.  The 4 pin aux CPU power standard provides two +12V leads
> and two grounds.  The new 8 pin aux standard provides 4 +12V leads and 4
> grounds.

I have two of those adapters.  One uses one 4-pin power plug.  The
other uses two 4-pin power plugs.  I take it that you would approve of
the one that uses two but not the one that uses only one.  :-)

And now I could be cantankerous and plug those two power plugs into a
single power feed wire that had two connectors?  Obviously for more
power I would at the least try to use a second power supply rail and
connect one each to two different rails.  So the one with two 4-pin
plugs could be plugged into two different supply rails and everything
would meet spec just fine.  Or I could plug it in oppositely and use a
cpu that needs excessive 12V current and over stress things.  I am
sorry but I am just being cantankerous in this paragraph.

> If running an 80+ watt CPU I recommend against this converter strategy
> as you'll have only 1/2 of the aux +12V conductors needed to safely
> carry the current load.  You may sneak by at 80W, but at 95W you're
> tickling the dragon, and with a 135W CPU you will fry some wires,
> ruining your PSU, and likely the mobo as well.  Decent PSUs with the
> proper aux connectors are really inexpensive.  Why gamble?

If you are running that much power then I think upgrading the power
supply is the best answer.

In actuality I have only used these adapters on low power Atom
motherboards.  I am down in the 20 watts of power envelope area.  So
for me the single rail is more than enough.

On every other system I have simply upgraded to a newer power supply.
The new supply has the newer power leads and no adapters are needed.
Being new I feel that it should reset the age clock on them.  Being
new they tend to be more efficient and draw less total power.  They
have become extremely cheap (and I say cheap instead of inexpensive)
and replacing the power supply for $15 and keeping a couple of spares
around to replace them as they need it has become very cost
effective.

But even expensive supplies fail.  I just saw a rather expensive 700W
supply in a friend's system burn up shooting sparks out the back fan
and burning a large hole in the circuit board.  It appears that heat
and vibration caused it to rub a part through a soft insulator and
short a component against a frame member.  That is by far the most
violent failure I have seen for a long time!  Most of the cheap ones
fail by fan bearing failure and without a fan it simply gets too hot
and goes into thermal shutdown.  Be sure to use oven hot pads when
handling such items as they are extremely hot.

Bob