Re: Logging ISP Download Speed.

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 13:37:43 -0700, Weaver wrote:

> Just to clarify on this situation:
>
> I have a cable connection that is rated at 100MB/s at full capacity. I
> specifically asked what the lowest speed would be, that I could expect
> to experience, when I took it on from an ADSL2+ connection that I
> tracked at 8 BYTES/s at one stage, and they said 100Kb/s (really!).

We also have a fast link at the office (FTTH) rated at 100/10 Mbits and
while the overall usual browsing is noticeabily faster, true is that when
you are downloading a big file from a host the speed can vary a lot from
one server to another.

For instance, using the fiber link to go out, I can get a suitanable rate
of 8 Mbits when downloading VirtualBox (~80 MiB) from Oracle servers
while that speed slow downs as soon as I get a different file from a
different host. Meaning: link speed matters but also does the capability
of the server where you get the files because most of them limit the
speed to avoid being collapsed :-)

> I regularly log 40-47Kb/s on updates.. Cheers,

That's very litte even for a plain ADSL2+ line but the problem can be
located at the server side not the client (you/your ISP network). Try
with a different mirror to compare speeds or use Oracle servers -which
are really fast- to get a random file, that will provide you with a more
"real sense" about you line capabilities.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón