Re: [OT] Is it possible to hide the ip in ssh connection

On Monday 20 August 2012 09:59:47 lina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I ssh to a server which has 400+ users, active ones around 100.
>
> Frankly speaking, I would feel comfortable to hide my IP if possible,
>
> any suggestions (I checked the spoof, but seems not positive),
>
> Thanks with best regards,

Hi lina!

I followed the thread and I wonder why nobody recommended to change sshd to
listen on any other port than 22, e.g. 2424. That will calm down most attacks
/ probing of ssh.
Also I wondered why nobody recommended to install DenyHosts?
I installed it on my OpenBSD gateway and it is quite funny to see which
usernames and passwords are tried to get into the box.
That was with sshd still listening on port 22. Now that it is on another port
there were no probes whatever for about a year. Stupid hacking!

Of course you need to inform your ssh users of the change. If the same
machines on your own network still attack ssh than it should be easy to figure
out which machine is doing that by looking at the MAC-address.

Kind regards,
Eike