package cache (was ... Re: having a problem removing a package)

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 08:04:39PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Du, 19 aug 12, 23:16:28, Chris Bannister wrote:
> >
> > When I saw this:
> > > dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
> > > /etc/init.d/bandwidthd: 19: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
> > > invoke-rc.d: initscript bandwidthd, action "stop" failed.
> > > dpkg: error processing
> >
> > I thought just to be on the safe side it might be a good idea to clean
> > out any old cruft. And considering everything seemed to be uptodate
> > except for 2 packages I presumed there would be no harm done.
>
> As far as I know apt (and dpkg?) have rigorous integrity checks for the
> debs.

I also vaguely remember that quite a while a go, (couple of years or so?),
you might remember Andrei, that a bit of advice that was offered when
someone had trouble installing a package was to clean out the cache, and
I don't think it was because of lack of disk space. I haven't heard of
any problems since though, and that wasn't in my mind when I suggested
the above.

It may have been due to the package version interacting, but I think an
archive search would be too time consuming. e.g. why was the tilde (~)
character introduced into the version string ... -- to ensure one
package is newer/older than another?

oppressing." --- Malcolm X