Re: having a problem removing a package

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 08:43:40PM -0400, Rodney D. Myers wrote:
> I'm having trouble installing/removing a program "bandwidthd". It's now
> in a weird state of not being installed or being able to remove.
>
> i've tried to upgrade to get it installed, and I get this;
>
> sudo apt-get  upgrade
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
>   bandwidthd
> 1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> 2 not fully installed or removed.

Ok, first I'd do an "apt-get clean"
Then I'd do an "apt-get update"
Then I'd do an "apt-get upgrade"
again just to see if the errors were still there.

If so, I'd probably do an "apt-get dist-upgrade" just to see what it
wanted to do. You could use the "-s" switch just to simulate the
actions.

Depending if it was going to correct itself or dig a deeper hole ...

Then I'd either use one of the force options of dpkg, and try and purge
the existing package, or edit the problem script and put "exit 0" at the
beginning of the script and try again.

> Preparing to replace bandwidthd 2.0.1 (using
> .../bandwidthd_2.0.1+cvs20090917-4.1_i386.deb) ...
> /etc/init.d/bandwidthd: 19: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
> invoke-rc.d: initscript bandwidthd, action "stop" failed.
> dpkg: warning: subprocess old pre-removal script returned error exit
> status 2
> dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
> /etc/init.d/bandwidthd: 19: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
> invoke-rc.d: initscript bandwidthd, action "stop" failed.
> dpkg: error processing
> /var/cache/apt/archives/bandwidthd_2.0.1+cvs20090917-4.1_i386.deb
> (--unpack):
>  subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
> configured to not write apport reports
>                                       insserv: warning: script
> 'K01bitmeterweb' missing LSB tags and overrides
> insserv: warning: script 'K01bitmeter' missing LSB tags and overrides
> insserv: warning: script 'K01bandwidthd' missing LSB tags and overrides
> insserv: warning: script 'bandwidthd' missing LSB tags and overrides
> insserv: warning: script 'bitmeter' missing LSB tags and overrides
> insserv: warning: script 'bitmeterweb' missing LSB tags and overrides
> /etc/init.d/bandwidthd: 19: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
> invoke-rc.d: initscript bandwidthd, action "start" failed.
> dpkg: error while cleaning up:
>  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
>  /var/cache/apt/archives/bandwidthd_2.0.1+cvs20090917-4.1_i386.deb

Has a google search given any help here?
Have you checked the BTS?

> How can I get this program uninstalled?

See above regarding forcing dpkg or editing the problem script,
either way I'd probably drop the maintainer a note, depending if there
was no fix from Google, or the BTS.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X