Re: How to install SchoolTool 2.0 on Debian?

Gary Dale <garydale@rogers.com> writes:

> On 18/08/12 08:04 AM, Csanyi Pal wrote:
>> Gary Dale<garydale@rogers.com>  writes:

>> [snip]

>>> There is no reason why it shouldn't be (in theory).
>>>
>>> - You can try using apt-get instead of aptitude. Sometimes it allows
>>> packages to be installed that aptitude rejects.
>> $ sudo apt-get install schooltool
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
>> requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
>> distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
>> or been moved out of Incoming.
>> The following information may help to resolve the situation:
>>
>> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>   schooltool :
>> Depends: python-schooltool (>= 1:1.9) but it is not going to be
>>   installed
>> Recommends: python-schooltool.gradebook but it is not going to be
>>   installed
>> Recommends: python-schooltool.lyceum.journal but it is not going to
>>   be installed
>> Recommends: python-schooltool.intervention but it is not going to be
>>   installed
>> E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
>>
>>> - You can try installing the packages that aptitude is complaining
>>> about before trying to install schooltool.
>> Tried that too and installed the installable packages but can't
>> installed those virtual packages only.
>>
>> I get again message:
>> The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
>>
>>       Keep the following packages at their current version:
>> 1)     python-schooltool [Not Installed]
>> 2)     python-schooltool.gradebook [Not Installed]
>> 3)     python-schooltool.intervention [Not Installed]
>> 4)     python-schooltool.lyceum.journal [Not Installed]
>> 5)     schooltool [Not Installed]
>>
>> Tried again apt-get:
>>
>> $ sudo apt-get install schooltool
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
>> requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
>> distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
>> or been moved out of Incoming.
>> The following information may help to resolve the situation:
>>
>> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>   schooltool :
>> Depends: python-schooltool (>= 1:1.9) but it is not going to be
>>   installed
>> Recommends: python-schooltool.gradebook but it is not going to be
>>   installed
>> Recommends: python-schooltool.lyceum.journal but it is not going to
>>   be installed
>> Recommends: python-schooltool.intervention but it is not going to be
>>   installed
>> E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

This abowe is the full output from the
sudo apt-get install schooltool
command.

>>> - You can try answering N to the "accept this solution" question, in
>>> which case aptitude will usually present you with another solution.

This bellow is not the full the output from the
sudo aptitude install schooltool
command but the very end part.

>> Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] n
>>
>> *** No more solutions available ***

>> So, SchoolTool 2.0 is not installable on Debian testing/sid?

> I never said it would be an easy, one-step process. What's missing
> from above are the error messages you got when you tried to install
> the packages apt-get complained about.

OK, here is the full output from the
sudo aptitude install schooltool
command:
$ sudo aptitude install schooltool
  python-schooltool{ab} python-schooltool.gradebook{ab}
  python-schooltool.intervention{ab}
  python-schooltool.lyceum.journal{ab} schooltool
0 packages upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 10 not
upgraded.
Need to get 4394 kB of archives. After unpacking 20.4 MB will be used.
 python-schooltool.lyceum.journal :
Depends: python-zc.table which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.browserpage (>= 3.10.1) which is a virtual
package.
Depends: python-zope.container which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.formlib (>= 4) which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.intid which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.viewlet which is a virtual package.
 python-schooltool.gradebook :
Depends: python-rwproperty which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-z3c.form which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-z3c.optionstorage which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.annotation which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.app.form which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.app.generations (>= 3.5) which is a virtual
package.
Depends: python-zope.browserpage (>= 3.10.1) which is a virtual
package.
Depends: python-zope.componentvocabulary which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.container which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.formlib (>= 4) which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.html which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.keyreference which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.lifecycleevent which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.viewlet which is a virtual package.
 python-schooltool.intervention :
Depends: python-rwproperty which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-z3c.form which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zc.catalog which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zc.table which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.annotation which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.app.form which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.app.generations which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.browserpage (>= 3.10.1) which is a virtual
package.
Depends: python-zope.catalog which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.container which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.dublincore which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.formlib (>= 4) which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.lifecycleevent which is a virtual package.
 python-schooltool :
Depends: python-hurry.query which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-rwproperty which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-z3c.autoinclude (>= 0.3.4) which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-z3c.form (>= 2.0) which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-z3c.formui which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-z3c.macro which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-z3c.rml which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-z3c.template which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zc.catalog which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zc.datetimewidget which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zc.resourcelibrary which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zc.table which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.annotation which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.app.applicationcontrol which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.app.appsetup which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.app.basicskin which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.app.broken which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.app.component which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.app.container which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.app.content which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.app.dependable which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.app.error which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.app.exception which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.app.form which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.app.generations (>= 3.5) which is a virtual
package.
Depends: python-zope.app.http which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.app.locales which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.app.principalannotation which is a virtual
package.
Depends: python-zope.app.publication which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.app.schema which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.app.security which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.app.server which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.app.testing which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.app.wsgi which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.browsermenu which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.browserpage (>= 3.10.1) which is a virtual
package.
Depends: python-zope.catalog which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.container (>= 3.7.2) which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.contentprovider which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.dublincore (>= 3.7) which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.file which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.filerepresentation which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.formlib (>= 4.0) which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.html which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.intid which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.keyreference which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.lifecycleevent which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.login which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.mimetype which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.pagetemplate (>= 3.5) which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.password which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.securitypolicy which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.server which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.session which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.site which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.size which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.tales which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.ucol which is a virtual package.
Depends: python-zope.viewlet which is a virtual package.

     Keep the following packages at their current version:
1)     python-schooltool [Not Installed]
2)     python-schooltool.gradebook [Not Installed]
3)     python-schooltool.intervention [Not Installed]
4)     python-schooltool.lyceum.journal [Not Installed]
5)     schooltool [Not Installed]

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] n

*** No more solutions available ***

     Keep the following packages at their current version:
1)     python-schooltool [Not Installed]
2)     python-schooltool.gradebook [Not Installed]
3)     python-schooltool.intervention [Not Installed]
4)     python-schooltool.lyceum.journal [Not Installed]
5)     schooltool [Not Installed]

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] q
Abandoning all efforts to resolve these dependencies.
Abort.

> For example, the main missing package appears to by
> python-schooltool. What message did you get when you tried to install
> it?

See abowe.

> Python-zodb looks like it may be another key package. What happened
> when you tried to install it?

I just installed it:
$ aptitude show python-zodb
Package: python-zodb