Re: [OT] Re: Looking for interactive programming with simple graphics like old CoCo BASIC or turbo pascal

Ahoj,

Dňa Fri, 17 Aug 2012 16:07:59 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
napísal:

> > The lazarus metapackage loads the gtk2 variant of the ide. Any thoughts
> > about the qt4 variant? (I'm inclined to go with the metapackage if I do
> > this, QT has never been anything but opaque to me, so far.)
>
> Can't comment on the packages themselves, sorry, I never used Lazarus/
> Freepascal before but this is what users recommend as a replacement for
> TurboPascal.

I was playing with it and using in my school to tech students some years
ago and i translated the Lazarus GUI.

The Lazarus is Delphi 6 replacement. The developers goal is to provide
full compatibility (not in code, but only functional) replacement of
the mentioned Delphi 6. It is based on FreePascal, which is not
TurboPascal replacement, but provides full (and modern) OOP ObjectPascal.

The Lazarus Qt IDE is not packaged in Debian yet - it provides empty
package, which depends on the GTK only. I was playing with Qt3 and Lazarus
IDE and it was working for me, after some tweaking - there was wiki about
it.

IMHO, the main advantage of the Lazarus and the FreePascal is, that they
both provides full portability. They works on Linux and Windows too, and
there is possible to crosscompile (i never tried it) apps.

Main disadvantage is, that any Lazarus application contains full LCL
(Lazarus Component Library). Yes any, the "Hello world" too and then
simple apps binaries are too big (some MB).

There are some apps (GUI and nonGUI) builded with FreePascal (and maybe
with Lazarus too) in debian repo, try to find - i don't remember them - to
see effect.

regards

--
Slavko