Re: Managing to get the 4 RAM GiB recognized easily

On Mi, 15 aug 12, 14:50:37, Gary Dale wrote:
> On 15/08/12 02:13 PM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>
> >Another option not mentioned yet is to install the -amd64 kernel
> >(assuming the CPU supports it). Works just fine for me.
>
> It works, but why not just upgrade to full 64 bit if you can? It's
> not a lot more work unless you've installed a lot of extra packages.

The upgrade requires a reinstall and I'm not sure my 2 GB RAM are worth
it. Besides, I'm still using skype from time to time, which is a pain to
install on amd64.

All of this will be (has been?) made much simpler by multiarch, but I'd
rather not experiment with that shortly before the release.

I also used to have another i386 machine. Sharing packages between
installs was an additional benefit, but it was replaced by a Raspberry
Pi recently.

Kind regards,
Andrei