Re: Debian 6.0 , not named as GNU/Linux ?

On 8/12/2012 9:02 PM, John Hasler wrote:
> There are now Hurd and FreeBSD ports, so Linux is not the only kernel.

No, a Debian install doesn't require the Linux kernel.  But it does if
you want a system that actually works.  Debian users won't really have
their choice of kernel until they can drop a Debian GNU/KFreeBSD and/or
Debian GNU/Hurd install DVD into any desktop/laptop/server they buy and
have it work as smoothly as Debian GNU/Linux currently does.  They don't
have the hardware support now, and likely never will.  Why?

Compare the patch submission rate to Linux against KFreeBSD and Hurd.  A
lot of that is new hardware support.  Because of this, and many others
reasons, I think it's clear that these alternate kernels will forever be
experimental.

--
Stan