Re: [OT] Cross-posting (was: package wxmacmolplt broken)

On Sun, 2012-08-12 at 15:27 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 01:45:29 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 03:05:56PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> >> On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 12:27:22 +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> >>
> >> (please, don't cross-post without warning the users about it)
> >
> > Huh? Since when?
>
> Since always (RFC1855¹):
>
> "3.1.2 Mailing List Guidelines
>
> (...)
>
> - When sending a message to more than one mailing list, especially
> if the lists are closely related, apologize for cross-posting."
>
> There is nothing bad with this act "per se" (unless you do abuse of it,
> of course), but when you cross-post a message to many different mailing
> lists, netiquette (and common sense) says you have to warn the users
> about it.
>
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting
> >
> > "A crossposted message takes up less server storage space, and creates
> > less network traffic, than if individual messages had been posted to
> > multiple newsgroups."
>
> Thanks, the full Wikipedia article (and not just the small copy/paste
> chunk you sent) indeed expands, confirms and complements my POV.
>
> > You might be confusing cross posting with multi posting; multi posting
> > is frowned upon.
>
> No, I have not confused both things.
>
> > Besides, it is obvious in the headers whether the message is cross
> > posted, the warning is hence redundant, extra typing, and therefore
> > unnecessary.
>
> Not that obvious!
>
> Not all of us use the same kind of readers nor have the same
> configuration settings nor have that information expanded in front of our
> eyes.
>
> ¹http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Some days ago I cross-posted, apologized and warned! It's anyway not the
best idea to do so.

Excepted of some announcements cross-posting isn't a good idea,
sometimes it's just less work for the person who does the post, but it
e.g. very often leads to dead threads etc..