Re: [OT] Will upcoming Debian 8 release default to XFCE for the CD media?

Hi!

Am Samstag, 11. August 2012 schrieb Lili-Anne Girard:
> > Do you really think that XFCE is tested in the same way that GNOME
> > (and Dothe same goes for Razor-QT and KDE, for instance)? I mean,
> > there are
>
> more
>
> > Dothe GNOME/KDE users out there than XFCE/LXDE/Razor-QT and more
> > users
>
> means
>
> > well probed software. To make a DE as a default for a distribution
> > wewithout being tested intensively can give a bad impression to
> > newcomers.
>
> There is as many (and more) Xfce users than any other desktop
> environment.
>
> This pool started on 2011-05-02 and stopped on February 2012:
> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=63626
>
> Total votes : 299
>
> GNOME 2          83      28%
> GNOME 3          18      6%
> KDE                  41      14%
> Unity                 0        No votes
> XFCE                 81      27%
> LXDE                 6        2%
> Enlightenment    3        1%
> Openbox            27      9%
> Other                 40      13%
>

> This one started on 2012-06-14:
> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80733
>
> Total votes : 113
>
> Gnome 2          12       11%
> Gnome 3          15       13%
> KDE                 22       19%
> XFCE               29        26%
> LXDE                0         No votes
> Fluxbox            3          3%
> Openbox           13        12%
> Mate                 5         4%
> Cinnamon          3         3%
> Other                11        10%

Not directed at you personally but at the thread in general…

So what… and in half a year it might be different again. And how
representative is that? With 299 votes and then only 113 votes. So about
185 people who voted in first survey didn´t vote in the second one. So
exactly what statement do these results make?

I didn´t even know about the survey until now.

Frankly, I don´t get it.

I never ever chosen the default desktop for years. So what?

Its even accessible within the boot menu of netinst.

Only thing that I think might be good is to put this selection prominently
into the Debian Installer itself. Just in the tasksel selection

- KDE
- GNOME
- XFCE
- LXDE
- and probably some single window manager setups like awesome or so

or even make an extra dialog for it. That might be a good feature wish or
bug report for bugs.debian.org

Anyway, this discussion on debian-user is not reaching Joey Hess who made
the change or someone else of the developers _unless_ they follow this
list.

So aside from venting frustrating about the discussion process this does
not seem to be a discussion yielding any constructive outcome.

So if someone wants to complain: Do it with the people who made the
decision or the people who can change it.

So short question: Do you want a change? Then stop discussing it here and
carry your oppinion where it really can have an effect. Or start a petition
and carry the results to there. Anything constructive, anything positive
about it. Yes, thats more work than complaining here, but then … do you
*really* want a change?

Just complaining here, where Joey Hess or other developers may not even be
reading, IMHO is just venting frustration . Has its sense do, but frankly
I start to be annoyed about it cause to me it seems more and more like
just complaining for the sake of complaining.

I feel so free to set this thread to ignore in KMail now.

Thanks,