Re: How to add self-compiled kernel module in debian installation

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 15:04:06 -0700, ML mail wrote:

> Well I am also starting to develop some kind of love/hate relationship
> with these RAID cards...

And those cards from LSI are one of the most valued RAID cards in the
market, at least when it comes to their hardware specs. But then it comes
the problem for the installation, that's when you really value a
manufacturer which provides an open source driver for your new toy :-)

> Unfortunately, the link doesn't help much and I am still trying to
> figure out where these RAID card modules are loaded from during the
> installation...

Sorry to hear that ;-(

Modules are loaded from the kernel package which is included in the CD/
DVD; "initrd" is just the "initiator". But it would be nice to have an
option in the installer that can allow the user to load additional kernel
modules from a predefined location (a network share such as samba/ssh/ftp
or from external device).

> I thought adding a new RAID card module to the installation would be as
> "easy" as adding a closed-source firmware network adapter module such as
> bnx2... but it looks like this is not the case.

A firmware is not a kernel module. Anyway, automated installations are
fine when you have a 100% compatible set of hardware/chipset as you won't
expect any problem but your RAID card seems too new for the stock kernel
included in Squeeze, I'd expect some kind of manual intervention.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón