Re: How to add self-compiled kernel module in debian installation

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 08:50:47 -0700, ML mail wrote:

> Indeed yes, I managed to compile the megaraid_sas module by using an
> older version of it (looks like the latest source code from LSI has an
> issue with Debian). I see you follow very well what happens on this
> mailing list :)

I have an special interest when it comes to hardware RAID controllers
(I've developed a love-hate relationship with them).

> Thanks for your suggestion of the USB key, unfortunately that's exactly
> what I would like to avoid as I want to setup a fully automated
> installation using Debian's preseed so going to the server and add a USB
> key is not really an option.

Mmm... then maybe you can add the kernel module to the ISO before you
burn the image into a CD/DVD :-?

> Can't I somehow modify the PXE netinstall initrd.gz image to add there
> directly my self-compiled version of the kernel module?

For this I can't tell. I know the initrd can be tweaked for preseeding
but to include a kernel module, I don't know.

Check if this helps:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Modify/CustomKernel

Greetings,

--