Re: UEFI install

Have you tried with Wheezy ?

On 10/08/12 11:17, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 9. August 2012 schrieb Greg Madden:
On Thursday 09 August 2012 4:37:05 am L V Gandhi wrote:
On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 9:58 AM, Gary Dale<garydale@rogers.com>  wrote:
On 08/08/12 08:48 PM, L V Gandhi wrote:
Has any one installed dual boot system of windows and squeeze in
ultrabooks with both mSATA SSD and HDD?
Kindly give links or procedure to keep windows and linux.

You don't have to do anything special. Just partition the disks the
way you like. Linux installers normally expect that dual booting
is a common requirement so they usually handle it pretty well.

I think it is not so easy as I have googled it. Intel RST, UEFI etc
making things difficult and many have bricked their system. Hence my
post.

I think the issues you read about are for Windows 8 and the 'secure
boot' feature of the UEFI bios?

I have not tried Squeeze, Wheezy works fine on a Thinkpad with the UEFI
bios, SSD&  mSata.

I think Squeeze does not support UEFI properly. It would at least need
a 3.2 backport kernel

What did you do to make it work? I have tried two times to get
either of:

- GPT + UEFI
- MBR + UEFI
- GPT + BIOS

to work on a ThinkPad T520 and the only think that works right now is

- MBR + BIOS

My problem was that the UEFI boot menu never offered to boot from the
EFI boot partition that I made. I think I might have been missing some
efibootmgr magic that was explained here or elsewhere before, but as you
managed to get to work, I´d like to know the exact steps or a link to a
guide that works, before trying again. Why the GPT + BIOS stuff did not
work is beyond me – I hat a BIOS boot partition for GRUB and grub-install
also seemed to use it.

I bet its not really faster tough since the ThinkPad doesn´t take much
time in the BIOS anyway. And due to LVM I do not really need GPT, but it
would be nice to have it anyway.

Thanks,