Re: debian 6.0.5 ISO installation issue. GRUB .. file not found

Muhammad Yousuf Khan (sirtcp@gmail.com on 2012-08-09 16:55 +0500):
> i just installed debian from 6.0.5 amd64 net CD. with basic options.
>
> installation went fine but in first boot. shows me this
>
> Welcome to GRUB
> error : file not found
> grub rescue>

If memory serves me right, you need to
rescue> set root=(hd0,1)

Assuming that /boot is a separate partition, created as /dev/sda1.
Season to taste. The grub shell has tab-completion, not sure if the
rescue shell has the same. If the installer created one single
partition, you may also need
rescue> set prefix=($root)/boot/grub

rescue> insmod normal
rescue> normal

And from there the regular grub commands (linux, initrd) should work.
There may also be a command to start the menu from there (insmod
gfxmenu?).

An easier but slower solution is to boot again from the installation
disc, start a rescue shell and re-run grub-install and update-grub.

Regards,
Arno