Re: [OT] Will upcoming Debian 8 release default to XFCE for the CD media?

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 19:21:25 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Wed 08 Aug 2012 at 17:45:40 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> > How can this be [OT]? It's about Debian. It concerns Wheezy. And the
>> > installer is involved, too.
>>
>> I tagged as OT because the scope (chit-chat) is out of the technical
>> issues expected here. And it concerns Jessie, not Wheezy (please, don't
>> scare me! ;-) )
>
> Be frightened; very frightened!

You're right! Oh-My...

>> > The decision
>>
>> So you think is it a firm decision? :-?
>
> The tasksel maintainer has made it so.

Without asking to their user base nor a single survey to get some
feedback before a final move like this... nothing? :-?

>> > could possibly be reversed if someone could find and implement a way
>> > of getting the GNOME task on CD-1.
>>
>> I wonder what the other linux distributions are doing in this regard,
>> what the GNOME teams (Debian and upstream) think about it and what
>> other desktop environments can be also considered as good options to be
>> used for the default.
>>
>> I'm afraid there are many questions over the table.
>
> The Debian GNOME team (or one or two of them) may not be over the moon
> but none of them maintain tasksel. Upstream doesn't count.

But one could expect the tasksel team asks about this change to the rest
of the involved teams (e.g., boot/cd and the others in charge of the DE
packages such as GNOME/KDE/XFCE/LXDE...), right? I don't mean to sound
rude but this seems to be a rather quick decision with little debate over
it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón