Re: replacing GDM with a script

On 08/08/12 02:34 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

On Vi, 03 aug 12, 10:24:03, Frank McCormick wrote:

    At this point it's just plain curiousity :)  Seems to me GDM,
while it does a good job  takes up a lot of memory (I only have a
gig) to just pick a window manager. Although at this point I guess
GDM does more than that, allowing different users to log-in,
handling security etc. But i am the only user of this machine, so a
lot of those areas are of little or no concern to me.

1. Install nodm
2. Change window manager/Desktop Environment with

# update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

At this point I am running SLIM...although I am told now it is unmaintained. How can that be if it's still in the repositories ?

Anyway it requires a fair amount of config-ing...and much info necessary to get it running properly is not in the manual or even on the home website.

I'll see how it goes..and will try nodm later, although if I have to update-alternatives every time I change wm...that would soon become a PITA :)

--
Cheers
Frank