Re: Kernel Oops during/after rsync

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 01:54:11 +0200, Claudius Hubig wrote:

> recently, I _sometimes_ encounter a kernel oops during a backup run.
> This did not occur until a few days ago, furthermore, all the crashes so
> far (a backup takes place every half hour and I’ve only seen three
> during the last five days) occurred while I was playing Patrician III
> with Wine. I don’t know whether Wine/Patrician III has anything to do
> with that; if anything, I suspect temperature issues, but the same
> machine survives five hours of video encoding just fine (though the CPU
> frequency is sometimes automatically lowered due to high temperature).

Is the Patrician III a stable pattern for the crash? I mean, is it always
crashing when running it and it keeps stable when at the time the routine
runs the computer is idle?

> The backup script, attached below, consists of the following stages:
>
> a) log that the backup started
> b) rsync some data
> c) log that the backup finished
> d) call sync
> e) log that the sync finished
>
> a) and c) are logged:
>
> Aug  7 23:30:01 ares Backup_Alix[638]: Backup started. Aug  7 23:30:05
> ares Backup_Alix[648]: Backup finished.
>
> but not e). At the same time, the following is written to kern.log, the
> screen shows part of that message and the computer powers off after a
> while.
>
> Aug  7 23:30:04 ares kernel: [75763.117797] BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at ffff8812e5463620
                                              ^^^

(...)

Can you reproduce the bug from a Debian kernel? If yes, you can report it
at the BTS; otherwise you can file a bug report upstream.

(...)

> Unfortunately, googling for anything from the above trace or just kernel
> oopses in relation to rsync turned out unsuccessful, I would hence be
> very thankful if someone could provide me with additional pointers :)

Google points to some user reports about a hardware problem (memory) but of
course, nothing conclusive.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón