Re: WTF? several anon_inode and /dev/null listings with lsof search

rabidblogger@Safe-mail.net:
> $ lsof | grep anon_inode anon_inode
>
> $ lsof | grep dev/null /dev/null
>
> I find several anon_inodes and over a dozen /dev/null listings, in
> some listings for each there are several processes which are repeated.

So what? There is nothing unusual about that. Redirection to /dev/null
happens a lot in shell scripts and other processes apparently do the
same for some reason. I suppose anon_inodes are inodes without a path
entry, i.e. when a program opens a file and unlinks it without closing
the file handle.

> I'm expecting this to be a rootkit,

Why?

> […] it doesn't matter what Linux distro I use, these continue to show,
> even when disconnected from the internet.

That could have lead you to the assumption that this behaviour is
normal. :)

J.
--
I count my partner's eyelashes.