Re: [LAU] OnDemand-performance was (OT: klang)

Am Montag, 6. August 2012 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> Hi Debian and LAU list,

Hi,

> sorry for the cross-posting, but I want to verify if Debian still is
> using and not using some CPU frequency scaling script:

Why don´t you just look?

> On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 08:42:02 +0200, Jeremy wrote:
> > On 08/05/12 22:04, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >> Last time I used Debian there was a script /etc/init.d/cpufrequtils
> >> that set up the governor to ondemand.
> >
> > It's on Ubuntu too, but not on a default install. If Debian has
> > cpufrequtils installed by default and uses this instead of the
> > ondemand init script let me know so I can add it to the wiki.
>
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> thank you for maintaining this Wiki.
>
>  From a script I wrote 2011-Nov-23 for Debian stable and testing, at
> least for stable I suspect this didn't change until today:
>
> [snip]
> CPUFREQ_SET=/usr/bin/cpufreq-set
> CPUFREQ_INFO=/usr/bin/cpufreq-info
> CPUFREQ_UTILS=/etc/init.d/cpufrequtils
> [snip]
>
> Yes, there was (is) no /etc/init.d/ondemand, but there was (is)
> /etc/init.d/cpufrequtils and Debian did (does) use
> cpufreq-set.

Package cpufrequtils, which seems to be superseded by cpupower, but I did
not see this one packaged yet.

I am not sure whether cpufrequtils is part of a default install, but even
if not I do believe that ondemand is standard governor in Linux.

martin@merkaba:~> grep CPU_FREQ /boot/config-3.2.0-3-amd64
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT=m
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT_DETAILS is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_CONSERVATIVE is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=m
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=m
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE=m

And then even if cpufrequtils is not installed the kernel should do CPU
frequency scaling provided that udev finds and loads a kernel driver:

martin@merkaba:~> grep CPUFREQ /boot/config-3.2.0-3-amd64
CONFIG_X86_PCC_CPUFREQ=m
CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=m

It easy to verify this with a default install.

Ciao,