Re: Strange network activity after updates

On Sun, 05 Aug 2012, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 19:48:35 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > On Sat, 04 Aug 2012, Camaleón wrote:
>
> >> I've never read about linux boxes being used as bots, can you please
> >> indicate any report/stats about that fact?
> >
> > We've cleaned up a few work.  We are not sure how the payload got in
> > (best guess: browser).  I am not allowed to disclose any more data than
> > this.
>
> What?! Are you saying you have been tracking (or are aware of) these kind
> of security flaws which is being actively exploited in Linux but can't

Hmm... I keep telling you this is nothing new, you just don't believe me.

Ask people who work with large number of Linux desktops in a corporate
network, they will tell you the same thing.  It is *uncommon* (when compared
to attacks against windows), but not unheard of by any means.

> don't know of any malware that can be exploited in that way under the
> linux ecosystem.

Please update your expectatives.  This has not been true for a long while,
although it is easier to find the proof-of-concept reports than the real
thing.  Not for much longer, though, there are downsides for the increased
popularity of Linux desktops.

> Papers, please. I ask because I'm subscribed to security bulletins and

I wouldn't know of any released papers, I don't pay much attention to
anything but crypto and communications security in the academic circles.

> This effectively means the malware profited not from an OS vulnerability
> but a JRE flaw.

Or Adobe Flash flaw, or whatever.  It doesn't matter much in practice, the
end result is a compromised box that needs to be contained and scrubbed
clean.

> First, a server is usually managed by people that knows how this stuff

This is not true anymore.

> works (thus, care about security and having up-to-date systems, there are

IME, this is not "exactly true", to put it mildly. YMMV.

> > Well, that's your prerrogative.  He has already detected weird
> > behaviour.  In MY book, that means you consider it compromised until
> > further data, and you try to protect yourself and others by keeping it
> > contained until you know more.
>
> I wouldn't consider "weird behaviour" a connection from/to SSDP and
> Google machines. And while removing the link from the "suspicious" system

A continuous stream to SSDP is weird, yes.  Whether it is the result of a
bug or something else, we don't know.  I am still waiting for the packet
dumps.

  Henrique Holschuh