Re: Strange network activity after updates

On Sat, 04 Aug 2012, Camaleón wrote:
> > I know the constant connection is a multicast address, but what is this
> > other stuff? It looks like something is broken/misconfigured or an
> > outright hack of the Debian repository has occurred and many Debian
> > systems are now part of a botnet.
>
> Linux as part of a botnet? That's a good one :-P

Now, here I will have to step in.  No, it is not a good one.  Linux
nodes _are_ commonly co-opted to act as C&C for botnets.  And
browser-based ephemeral botnet nodes (in javascript, installed by
drive-by attacks) DO work in Linux.

> > My Debian box is staying offline until I find out what is going on.
>
> That's sounds a bit radical :-o

It is actually a very responsible way of handling it.

  Henrique Holschuh