Re: Debian: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address when adding extra ips to an interface

On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 12:10:16PM +0200, Tóth Tibor Péter wrote:
> Hello!
> I have some problem when I'm trying to add an extra IP to an interface.
>
> My config:
> # cat /etc/network/interfaces
[cut]

> #ifconfig eth0:0 up
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address
>
> The strange thing is that sometimes works, sometimes not.
>
> if I do this way, it works every time:
> #ifconfig eth0:0 192.168.0.100 netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> What cause the SIOCSIFFLAGS error messaeg?
> It exists on Debian 5 and Debian 6 as well.

Might it simply be that the address already exists?

If you don't NEED the extra interface names (ethX:Y names are deprecated
these days), try the following /e/n/i

  auto eth0
  iface eth0 inet static
     address 192.168.0.10
	 netmask 255.255.255.0
	 gateway 192.168.0.1
	 post-up ip addr add 192.168.0.100/24 dev eth0
	 post-up ip addr add 192.168.0.101/24 dev eth0
	 pre-down ip addr del 192.168.0.100/24 dev eth0
	 pre-down ip addr del 192.168.0.101/24 dev eth0

or, thanks to http://wertarbyte.de/debian/ifupdown/addresses:

  auto eth0
  iface eth0 inet static
     address 192.168.0.10
	 netmask 255.255.255.0
	 gateway 192.168.0.1
	 addresses 192.168.0.100/24 192.168.0.101/24

> Ezen üzenet és annak bármely csatolt anyaga bizalmas, jogi védelem alatt áll, a nyilvános közléstől védett. Az üzenetet kizárólag a címzett, illetve az általa meghatalmazottak használhatják fel. Ha Ön nem az üzenet címzettje, úgy kérjük, hogy telefonon, vagy e-mail-ben értesítse erről az üzenet küldőjét és törölje az üzenetet, valamint annak összes csatolt mellékletét a rendszeréből. Ha Ön nem az üzenet címzettje, abban az esetben tilos az üzenetet vagy annak bármely csatolt mellékletét lemásolnia, elmentenie, az üzenet tartalmát bárkivel közölnie vagy azzal visszaélnie.
>
> This message and any attachment are confidential and are legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorised to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, please phone or email the sender and delete this message and any attachment of it from your system. Please note that any dissemination, distribution, copying or use of or reliance upon the information contained in and transmitted by this e-mail or to anyone other than the recipient designated above by the sender is unauthorised and strictly prohibited.

Hmm. I'm NOT the entity to whom this message was addressed. Sorry.