what graphics card to choose

I'm currently using an older AMD system with Debian Squeeze, using an
Nvidia GeForce FX 5500. This work well on Squeeze with the
nvidia-glx-legacy-173xx package and nvidia-kernel-legacy-173xx-dkms, and
I'm able to play Flightgear.

I'm looking to buy a new system and I'd like to be able to run the
latest Flightgear with all the trimmings turned on, so I need a much
better graphics card, but I'm quite lost in what to buy that will be
compatible and simple to set up and maintain.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike