Re: what graphics card to choose

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 10:41:00 -0400, Michael P. Soulier wrote:

> I'm currently using an older AMD system with Debian Squeeze, using an
> Nvidia GeForce FX 5500. This work well on Squeeze with the
> nvidia-glx-legacy-173xx package and nvidia-kernel-legacy-173xx-dkms, and
> I'm able to play Flightgear.
>
> I'm looking to buy a new system and I'd like to be able to run the
> latest Flightgear with all the trimmings turned on, so I need a much
> better graphics card, but I'm quite lost in what to buy that will be
> compatible and simple to set up and maintain.
>
> Any suggestions?

I would read on their recommended video cards:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Supported_Video_Cards

Then choose one that you like (because of price/design) and then check
about its current support status in Linux ecosystem, though I would go
for nvidia; their closed source driver (sigh...) is rather good.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón